Don't miss out on a great deal, subscribe to our newsletter and get news and offers to your email
Ski to the Sea - Schooner skiing adventure
On this unique adventure we combine the strengths of two leading Icelandic adventure tourism companies, Bergmenn Mountain Guides and North Sailing from Húsavík, resulting in an adventure like no other. Each day we make landfall in small bays and coves along the north shore of this spectacular mountain range, skiing fresh tracks accompanied only by our ever changing shadow as the never setting midnight sun makes its round in the sky. At night we enjoy good times and great food on board our floating mountain hut, anchored in a secluded bay or at the small piers of Flatey island, once a thriving fishing village but now a deserted paradise for bird watchers and nature lovers alike. If conditions allow, we cross the Eyjafjordur fjord and ski on the mighty Troll Peninsula and visit its picture perfect fishing villages such as Siglufjörður, Ólafsfjörður and Dalvík with an overnight at Hrísey island, Iceland's second largest inhabited island. Ski to the sea is a unique adventure for groups seeking new horizons, exploration and an adventure of a lifetime.
- Sailing and living aboard the beautifully restored oak schooners of North Sailing
- Exploring terrain that no one has ever skied before, in the company of Iceland's only certified mountain guides
- Visiting the islands of Flatey and Hrísey, both unique places in their own way
- Sailing under the Arctic Circle and the midnight sun
- Visiting the Hidden Land, an area steeped in rich history and spectacular nature
- Combining world class ski touring with sailing, whale watching, fishing and good times with friends
- Skiing all the way down to the ocean
- Transportation Akureyri - Húsavík - Akureyri
- All food from dinner on day 1 to lunch on day 5
- Accommodation on board the Schooners Haukur or Hildur in cabins or berths with shared bathrooms
- The services of a mountain guide for the duration of the trip
- Use of emergency equipment and communications
- Glacier travel gear, ropes, harness, crampons
- 4 days of ski touring
- Transportation between Reykjavik and Akureyri before and after trip
- Equipment rental
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal accident insurance
A typical day-to-day program for the Ski to the Sea adventure
Pick up in Akureyri the capital of northern Iceland in the afternoon, followed by a 1 hour transfer to Húsavík where we join up with the captain and crew of our schooner. A safety briefing by the captain is followed by a dinner at the quaint bistro Gamli Baukur and a quiet evening in the picturesque harbor of Húsavík. You can enjoy a nice walk along the quays or to the sea cliffs just north of town or simply let the waves roll you to sleep on board your schooner after a relaxed evening in the mess hall.
Day 2 - 3
A short sail across Skjálfandi bay to our first skiing objective. After an exciting climb and some great turns, we return to our floating mountain hut and set sail for the island of Flatey where we anchor for the night. Exploration and adventure is the name of the game as we methodically make our way around the northern tip of the Hidden Land, skiing the big lines and having a grand old time. The possibilities for exhilarating descents for skiers of all abilities are numerous in this glacier carved mountain paradise. Each morning we make landfall in different coves where the ruins of deserted farms and fishing outposts can bee seen dotting the landscape. It is amazing to imagine that only a hundred years ago the entire region was a bustling, thriving farming and fishing community and that all that remains are a few crumbling walls and the outlines of hand dug ditches and farmers fields.
After a big day of skiing we have the option of setting sail to the island of Hrísey, Iceland's second largest island and home to some 180 inhabitants which make their living fishing from the rich waters of the fjord. Hrísey is an exceptionally quiet and cozy place with very few cars and an amazing geothermal pool which is a must stop after a long day of skiing.