Don't miss out on a great deal, subscribe to our newsletter and get news and offers to your email
Svalbard Tall Ship Ski Touring
This is a true ski touring adventure, in one of the planets most interesting and breathtaking destinations. Svalbard offers an incredible combination of world class ski touring, Arctic wildlife and nature exploration. No other place in the polar regions allows for such spectacular skiing under the never setting midnight sun with the possible opportunity of observing walruses, polar bears, whales, seals, arctic foxes and reindeer in their natural environment. Add to that the giant glaciers, fjords, towering peaks and icebergs along with it’s very interesting history of Arctic Exploration, and Svalbard ticks all the boxes for an excellent overall adventure.
Our home away from home for this program is the S/V Linden which is not only Europe’s biggest wooden Schooner but without a doubt one of the most stunningly beautiful ships sailing the Arctic waters. At just under 160 feet in length this grand dame of the high seas makes for a spectacular base camp for our ski touring adventure. Despite her classic looks, the Linden is actually a new ship, built in 1993 in the Åland islands of the Baltic Sea. The Linden has an ice strengthened hull and all the modern day navigation aids and safety equipment.
With her 7 guest cabins, all with private bathrooms and showers, two spacious lounges, full bar and Sauna, the Linden’s beautiful wooden interior can be described as luxurious and very spacious. Add to that the huge deck space and you will most certainly feel like you are on a ship and not a boat. Captain and owner Rasmus and his great crew are a true pleasure to hang out with and the food is truly something. Organic produce from the vessels greenhouse and fresh fish from the fjords can be expected along with some tasty Reindeer and other great mouth watering feasts.
What makes this trip so very special?
- Traveling north of 79 degrees north
- Visiting Svalbard one of the oldest geological formations on the planet
- The never setting midnight sun
- Skiing all the way down to the ocean, watching your altimeter drop to 0 as you take your last turn on to a beach
- The cultural experience; Ny Alesund, Russian mining towns and fur trappers living in a bygone era
- Staying and sailing on the S/V Linden one of the worlds finest tall ships
- Experience the great cuisine specializing in fish and Reindeer prepared by our onboard chef
- World Class wildlife viewing opportunities, walrus, seals, polar bears, whales, reindeer, arctic foxes and abundant bird life make Svalbard a naturalists dream destination
- The Linden's expedition leader's lectures on the wildlife and nature
Price: 55.000.- NOK per person (Apprxm. EUR 5.700 or USD 6.700)
Group size: Min. 10 - Max 12.
Included in price
- 6 nights accommodation in double and triple cabins on the S/V Linden
- All food onboard the Linden, starting with welcome dinner and ending with lunch on day 7
- 1 night at the Basecamp Hotel in Longyearbyen with breakfast, in double rooms
- The services of 2 certified ski guides for the duration of the trip
- The services of one Naturalist expedition Leader onboard the Linden
- The rental of bear protection equipment (rifles and flare guns carried by guides)
- Airport transfers
- Use of emergency equipment and communications
Not included in price
- Equipment rental
- Alcoholic beverages (please bring cash for the Linden bar)
- Personal accident insurance
- Dinner in Longyearbyen on the last night and lunch on the last day
- Docking fees in Barentsburg (apprxm. 120 NOK per person)
We arrive in Longyearbyen in the early afternoon with a flight from Oslo. Last minute shopping and preparation before we set sails heading west to our first ski touring objective. A welcome dinner will be served and we settle into our onboard routine and get to know the crew of the Linden. The guides will present the plan for the coming days based on the current conditions and the groups objectives.
Day 2 – 6
We will sail our way up the west coast of the Svalbard archipelago and ski the most spectacular spots along the way. Every morning we will make landfall using our dingy to ferry skiers ashore where we spend all day skiing and enjoying the spectacular nature. After each day of skiing whilst we enjoy cold drinks and some Sauna, the Linden will sail to the next days objective.
Each trip is different but we will make sure to stop for wildlife observation as well as some human observations such as the village of Nye Alesund. This is the northernmost functional civilian settlement in the world at 78 degrees north with a permanent population of 30 people and only 1234 km away from the North Pole. Another very interesting destination is the Russian coal mining town of Barentsburg where the ambiance of the Soviet Union thrives with its Lenin statues, orthodox temple and architecture.
This will be our last day of skiing but we will make the most of it before sailing back to Longyearbyen where we will enjoy an evening at the renowned Basecamp Hotel, feast on a farewell dinner and maybe sample the nightlife in this vibrant little polar capital.
Free morning to roam around town, visit the polar museum and stock up on some souvenirs before we head to the airport in the early afternoon and fly back to Oslo.