Don't miss out on a great deal, subscribe to our newsletter and get news and offers to your email
Land of Dragons - East Fjords ski touring Odyssey
No dates available.
Can not book trip
- Adult (group size must be 6 or more) 441.650.- kr.
Heimskringla, the story of the Norse Kings tells the tale of Harald Bluetooths attempt to subjugate the proud Icelanders and rule them as part of his kingdom. Harald had a wizard send his spirit in the form of a whale to attack the mountainous coast of the East Fjords, but as he approached, a giant Dragon, the protector of the east attacked and the wizard was driven back to the sea.
Dragons are easily imagined when traveling through the rugged mountains of the East Fjords. The landscape consists of jagged snow covered peaks and deep blue fjords. This unspoiled skiers paradise is also home to half a dozen fishing villages and a thriving farming community. Each fjord and town is steeped in rich history as for centuries the East Fjords were the first place that ships from Europe made landfall after the perilous crossing of the Atlantic.
Leading the way and pioneering new ski touring areas in Iceland has always been the way Bergmenn Mountain Guides has operated. As the first to explore and organize ski touring trips on the Troll Peninsula and Sail boat ski touring we now offer our guests the opportunity to join us on yet another grand adventure of first descents and discovery.
Based at the comfortable and charming Mjóeyri Lodge in the picturesque Eskifjord, we will explore the surrounding mountains and passes. Each day we will drive a short distance from one fjord to another to access the best ski touring areas. We return to our cozy lodge in the afternoons for a dip into the beach side hot tub and some ocean swimming for the brave at heart. Dinners are served in the Randulffs Seahouse Museum, a 127 year old fisherman's store house built into the fjord. This unique experience of dining in a museum, in what is undoubtedly one of the best restaurants in Iceland is a large part of the allure of this ski touring adventure. Here you will feast on local delicacies such as fresh fish, reindeer, pickled herring and the world famous Greenland shark.
What makes this trip so very special?
- Be among the first skiers to explore the untouched peaks of the East Fjords of Iceland
- Staying in the charming ocean side cabins of Mjoeyri Lodge with its beach hot tub and sauna
- Mouthwatering feasts of local food every night in the incredible Seahouse museum restaurant
- Interacting with our Mjoeyri hosts Sęvar and Berglind, true local legends in their own right
- Skiing with the ocean in the background all day every day
- The fjords are home to numerous Reindeer herds which you may encounter while ski touring
- The cultural experience; meet the people who live in this remote unexplored ski touring region
- Northern lights in the early season and midnight sun in the late season
- Ski with Iceland's only certified mountain guides on this ski expedition of discovery and adventure
- Bathing in Geothermal pools at the end of each ski day in the quaint fishing villages
Arrival at Egilsstašir airport in the afternoon where we meet our guide and start the drive to Eskifjöršur (50min) We will arrive at Mjóeyri just in time for dinner prepared by our legendary hosts Berglind and Sęvar. Descended from a long line of East fjords natives they know the history and traditions of their region better than most. Our guest cabins by the sea await the weary travelers.
Skinning to the tops of peaks and exploring the fantastic ski touring terrain of the East Fjords is the name of the game. The choice for runs is pretty much endless with each fjord home to multiple descents on peaks rising up to 1200 meters straight from the sea. After each day of skiing we will have the pleasure of visiting the small fishing villages, where we can enjoy dips into the geothermal pools, cool pints of lager or a good cup of coffee at the local bar. The East Fjords are largely unexplored when it comes to ski touring and multiple first descents await the adventurous skier.
Another full day of skiing awaits but its also time to say our goodbyes to our new found friends at Mjoeyri. At the end of the day we transfer back to Egilsstašir and fly to Reykjavik. For those with some extra time on their hands we recommend renting a car in Egilsstašir and driving the scenic south coast road or venturing north through Lake Myvatn Nature reserve and the Troll Peninsula on their way to the capital.
Included in price
- Transportation between Egilsstašir Airport and Mjoeyri Lodge
- Transportation in 4x4 vehicles for the duration of the trip
- All food from dinner on day 1 to lunch on day 7- Breakfast and packed lunches at Mjoeyri, dinners at Randulffs Seahouse
- Accommodation in Ocean side cabins with two people sharing each cabin (Single cabin supplement of ISK 10.000 per night)
- Entry fees to geothermal baths
- The services of a certified mountain guide for the duration of the trip (Beware of local companies using uncertified ski guides)
- Use of emergency equipment and communications
Not included in price
- Transportation between Reykjavik and Egilsstašir before and after trip
- Equipment rental
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal accident insurance